In honor of Emeritus Professor Aliko Songolo for his many years of dedicated teaching and service to the Department of African Cultural Studies, ACS has created a $2,500 annual summer research award to be given to one full-time graduate student in the Department. Applicants must utilize the award to carry out research on African expressive cultures in Africa and/or archives outside of the United States. The research must lead to a PhD dissertation or a publishable-quality paper (QP).
- Excellence of research proposal
- Demonstrated commitment to researching African expressive cultures
- General academic record
- Strong recommendations from faculty
- Timing of the proposed research in relation to degree requirements
Call for Applications
Applications for the 2023 year are due by 5 pm on March 20, 2023.
To apply, submit all application materials in one PDF to Toni Landis: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application materials should include:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- 3-page research proposal including a budget and timeline
- Unofficial UW–Madison transcript
- Names and email addresses of three UW–Madison faculty references (please do not have them send letters)